East Texas man gets 40 years for drug trafficking
TYLER, TX -- An East Texas man has been sentenced to 40 years in federal prison for weapons and drug trafficking convictions.
Prosecutors in Tyler say 39-year-old Spencer Garod Elam of Longview was sentenced Tuesday. Elam was arrested in May 2011 during an investigation into a drug ring operating in Gregg County.
A jury last October convicted Elam of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute hydrocodone and two counts of possession of a firearm during a drug trafficking crime. He was also convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm and using communications to facilitate a felony.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape 5 min ago
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Ford unveils all-new Mustang
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!
- Can you say this tongue twister?