Drugs suspected in Austin apartment explosion
AUSTIN, TX -- Propane tanks have been found inside a Central Texas apartment that exploded and burned two occupants in what police call a drug-related blast.
Austin police detained a third person at the scene of Wednesday's explosion.
Investigators say a man and a woman suffered serious burns over 20 percent of their bodies and have been transported to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. Names of the hospitalized pair haven't been released.
Further details on the uninjured third person and any possible charges weren't immediately available.
Austin police Lt. Norris McKenzie says it appears the apartment occupants were "cooking" marijuana to extract psychoactive ingredients. The explosion caused about $85,000 in damage to the second-floor unit.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 18 min ago
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Cold, damp weather to continue 15 min ago
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 55 min ago
- Ice to linger over much of Texas
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats