Memorial scheduled for slain Texas DA, wife
KAUFMAN, TX (KTRK) -- One Texas prosecutor says "we are under attack," with the weekend murder of Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McClelland and that could be the frightening truth.
Just down the street from the murder scene, you find tire tracks and cigarette butts. According to CBS11 in Dallas, investigators got a tip that suggests a suspect or suspects had been camped out here, conducting surveillance on the DA's house for days before the murders.
"I'm not going to answer any questions about the investigation," said Justin Lewis with the Kaufman Co. Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's office won't confirm the allegations, but Eyewitness News spoke to a neighbor who saw a van parked there on the corner for several days in the weeks before the murder. Other neighbors told CBS11 they saw what appeared to be four men inside the vehicle.
CBS11 cameras were there as investigators studied and measured these tire tracks and collected some of these cigarette butts as evidence.
"It's a very safe, secure neighborhood, you know. And when something like this happens, it's like your whole neighborhood is violated. Everybody kind of gets skittish and afraid," McClelland's next door neighbor David Crone said.
Sources tell CBS11 that the DA had a camera inside his home to watch his wife, who had health problems. But they say investigators have been unable to retrieve any video from it.
Authorities have not said if they have any solid leads in the deadly shootings of the DA and his wife in their home, or if they're connected to the murder of the county's assistant DA earlier this year.
As a memorial sits in front of the courthouse, security is even tighter than before -- armed guards are patrolling the building and cameras are no longer allowed inside.
"We're trying to keep our staff reassured that we're gonna keep going on and we're gonna do the best we can. All of the law enforcement people have confidence that they know what they're doing," said Kaufman County Judge David Lewis.
Details on the investigation into the murder of DA McClelland and his wife Cynthia are hard to come by. Detectives won't even say whether the DA's murder is connected to the murder of Kaufman Co. Assistant DA Mike Hasse two months ago.
"I'm not going to answer any questions about the investigation," Justin Lewis said.
This building will be closed for most of the day Thursday as employees honor the DA and his wife.
"I think everyone is sad over this," said Judge Lewis.
Many businesses will also be closed Thursday.
There will be a public memorial for Mike and Cynthia McClelland on Thursday afternoon at First Baptist Church of Sunnyvale in Mesquite, which is just outside Dallas. The couple's funeral will be held Friday morning in Wortham, where McClelland grew up.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
texas, state, pooja lodhia
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 58 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing 57 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston 16 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- David Tillman's Saturday weather forecast
54 min ago