Funeral service held for slain Kaufman Co. DA Mike McLelland, his wife Cynthia
KAUFMAN, TX (KTRK) -- Mourners came together to say their goodbyes to a murdered Texas district attorney and his wife.
Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland was remembered as a tough, dedicated law man Thursday at a memorial. He and his wife, Cynthia, side by side in death as they were in life.
The couple shared a single, flag-draped coffin, which was front and center during a memorial service at a suburban Dallas church. The DA and his wife were gunned down March 30 inside their home in Forney, which is about 20 miles east of Dallas.
The funeral for Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife, Cynthia McLelland, is under way Friday in Wortham. The town of some 1,000 residents is about 75 miles south of Dallas.
Dozens of law enforcement representatives from across the country are attending the service at First Baptist Church of Wortham and are expected to be graveside later at Wortham Cemetery.
At their memorial service Thursday, their daughter spoke about the importance of her father's work, and of being tough on criminals.
"We can't let the fear of what people are going to do to us or say to us, or the fear of what they are going to do to our families, stop us from doing the right thing," said Christine Foreman.
McLelland had addressed many of the same people two months earlier, after the slaying of Mark Hasse, one of his prosecutors. Hasse was gunned down near the Kaufman County courthouse while going to work on January 31.
No arrests have been made in either case.
Governor Rick Perry announced Thursday his office would be adding an additional $100,000 to the Crime Stoppers $100,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case. He vowed the killer or killers would be tracked down and punished.
Authorities also announced a Texas-wide billboard campaign to publicize the reward. Several digital billboards in the Houston area will be posting the message: Highway 6 at FM 521; Highway 225 at Red Bluff; East Belt at Pasadena Boulevard; and Gulf Freeway at Calder/League City.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest on this story.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels 15 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Former detention officer charged with official oppresssion
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- David Tillman's weather forecast
56 min ago