Texas game wardens seize nearly $4M in marijuana
AUSTIN, TX -- Game wardens with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department have seized more than two tons of marijuana worth nearly $4 million.
A total of 409 bundles of marijuana weighing 4,719 pounds were seized at a home in Starr County near the U.S.-Mexico border in South Texas.
"A game warden received information that marijuana was being stashed at a residence in the Salineno area. Game wardens then requested assistance from the U.S. Border Patrol," said TPWD Maj. Alan Teague.
The Wednesday night drug seizure also resulted in the arrest of two individuals who were at the home. A third person escaped.
Officials say some of the marijuana was hidden in an underground bunker at the home.
The marijuana was turned over to the U.S. Border Patrol, along with the two arrested individuals.
"Texas game wardens routinely come across illegal drug smuggling operations, especially in rural areas and along the border region," said Chief of Special Operations Grahame Jones, "but this seizure was particularly significant."
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department officials say the drug bust is one of the largest by game wardens in the agency's history.
"This is one of if not the largest drug seizure by Texas game wardens in the history of our agency," said TPWD Law Enforcement Director Craig Hunter. "Obviously, we are very proud of the wardens involved in this case. Beyond that, we are tremendously pleased to have played a part in preventing such a large cache of marijuana from reaching our streets."
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar 41 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 15 min ago
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver 43 min ago
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game