Texas game wardens seize nearly $4M in marijuana
AUSTIN, TX -- Game wardens with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department have seized more than two tons of marijuana worth nearly $4 million.
A total of 409 bundles of marijuana weighing 4,719 pounds were seized at a home in Starr County near the U.S.-Mexico border in South Texas.
"A game warden received information that marijuana was being stashed at a residence in the Salineno area. Game wardens then requested assistance from the U.S. Border Patrol," said TPWD Maj. Alan Teague.
The Wednesday night drug seizure also resulted in the arrest of two individuals who were at the home. A third person escaped.
Officials say some of the marijuana was hidden in an underground bunker at the home.
The marijuana was turned over to the U.S. Border Patrol, along with the two arrested individuals.
"Texas game wardens routinely come across illegal drug smuggling operations, especially in rural areas and along the border region," said Chief of Special Operations Grahame Jones, "but this seizure was particularly significant."
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department officials say the drug bust is one of the largest by game wardens in the agency's history.
"This is one of if not the largest drug seizure by Texas game wardens in the history of our agency," said TPWD Law Enforcement Director Craig Hunter. "Obviously, we are very proud of the wardens involved in this case. Beyond that, we are tremendously pleased to have played a part in preventing such a large cache of marijuana from reaching our streets."
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning 19 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 56 min ago
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas 2 min ago
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses 50 min ago
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail 26 min ago
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records 28 min ago
- Video: Health care sign up deadline approaching 18 min ago
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Boy in need embraces spirit of holiday giving
24 min ago