ATF sends team to plant explosion site
WACO, TX -- The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is sending a national response scene to the site of a massive fertilizer plant explosion.
ATF spokeswoman Franceska Perot said Thursday that agency specialists were on their way to West, where a fertilizer plant exploded Wednesday night. Police said Thursday that they believed 5 to 15 people to be dead, with more than 160 hurt.
The team includes fire investigators, explosives experts, chemists, and canine units.
Waco Police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says police are treating the explosion site as a crime scene strictly out of caution.
Perot says the site is still too hot to investigate, as recovery is ongoing. She says the ATF team should be in place by Thursday afternoon.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Joy ride turns tragic for Conroe teens
- Two dead in NW Houston nursing home shooting 8 min ago
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes 49 min ago
- Massive shark reeled in from Gulf
- Toddler flown to hospital after dog bit him in the face 43 min ago
- Woman says used car's sweet deal turned sour
- Volunteer fire chief dies while battling Brazoria Co. fire