ATF sends team to plant explosion site
WACO, TX -- The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is sending a national response scene to the site of a massive fertilizer plant explosion.
ATF spokeswoman Franceska Perot said Thursday that agency specialists were on their way to West, where a fertilizer plant exploded Wednesday night. Police said Thursday that they believed 5 to 15 people to be dead, with more than 160 hurt.
The team includes fire investigators, explosives experts, chemists, and canine units.
Waco Police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says police are treating the explosion site as a crime scene strictly out of caution.
Perot says the site is still too hot to investigate, as recovery is ongoing. She says the ATF team should be in place by Thursday afternoon.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 9 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon 47 min ago
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 58 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 6 min ago
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Study: Losing temper could lead to heart attack, stroke 45 min ago
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
30 min ago