ATF sends team to plant explosion site
WACO, TX -- The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is sending a national response scene to the site of a massive fertilizer plant explosion.
ATF spokeswoman Franceska Perot said Thursday that agency specialists were on their way to West, where a fertilizer plant exploded Wednesday night. Police said Thursday that they believed 5 to 15 people to be dead, with more than 160 hurt.
The team includes fire investigators, explosives experts, chemists, and canine units.
Waco Police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says police are treating the explosion site as a crime scene strictly out of caution.
Perot says the site is still too hot to investigate, as recovery is ongoing. She says the ATF team should be in place by Thursday afternoon.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 12 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad 15 min ago
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Travis Herzog's Monday forecast
8 min ago