Police: Reports of looting following explosion
WEST, TX -- Authorities say they've received reports of looting in the aftermath of the catastrophic fertilizer plant explosion that's killed as many as 15 people and injured more than 160.
Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says there's been "a small amount of looting" in the neighborhoods surrounding the West Fertilizer Co.
Swanton says it's too early to estimate the number of looters but says the reports are "a significant concern to us."
He didn't know if arrests had been made, as the focus of emergency responders is search and rescue. Swanton says at least one person suspected of being a looter was seen running from a damaged home.
Responders are concentrating on a "hard, gut-wrenching job" and Swanton says despite looting reports, "West has seen a tremendous outpouring of support."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 2 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase 26 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded 19 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first 34 min ago
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY 35 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared 29 min ago
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
51 min ago