Police: Reports of looting following explosion
WEST, TX -- Authorities say they've received reports of looting in the aftermath of the catastrophic fertilizer plant explosion that's killed as many as 15 people and injured more than 160.
Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says there's been "a small amount of looting" in the neighborhoods surrounding the West Fertilizer Co.
Swanton says it's too early to estimate the number of looters but says the reports are "a significant concern to us."
He didn't know if arrests had been made, as the focus of emergency responders is search and rescue. Swanton says at least one person suspected of being a looter was seen running from a damaged home.
Responders are concentrating on a "hard, gut-wrenching job" and Swanton says despite looting reports, "West has seen a tremendous outpouring of support."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant