Police: Reports of looting following explosion
WEST, TX -- Authorities say they've received reports of looting in the aftermath of the catastrophic fertilizer plant explosion that's killed as many as 15 people and injured more than 160.
Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says there's been "a small amount of looting" in the neighborhoods surrounding the West Fertilizer Co.
Swanton says it's too early to estimate the number of looters but says the reports are "a significant concern to us."
He didn't know if arrests had been made, as the focus of emergency responders is search and rescue. Swanton says at least one person suspected of being a looter was seen running from a damaged home.
Responders are concentrating on a "hard, gut-wrenching job" and Swanton says despite looting reports, "West has seen a tremendous outpouring of support."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 9 min ago
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 7 min ago
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center