Police: Reports of looting following explosion
WEST, TX -- Authorities say they've received reports of looting in the aftermath of the catastrophic fertilizer plant explosion that's killed as many as 15 people and injured more than 160.
Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says there's been "a small amount of looting" in the neighborhoods surrounding the West Fertilizer Co.
Swanton says it's too early to estimate the number of looters but says the reports are "a significant concern to us."
He didn't know if arrests had been made, as the focus of emergency responders is search and rescue. Swanton says at least one person suspected of being a looter was seen running from a damaged home.
Responders are concentrating on a "hard, gut-wrenching job" and Swanton says despite looting reports, "West has seen a tremendous outpouring of support."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home