New Kaufman County DA sworn in, 2 held in killings
KAUFMAN, TX -- A North Texas county where two prosecutors were fatally shot has a new district attorney as two suspects in the killings remain in custody.
Erleigh Norville Wiley was sworn in Monday afternoon to succeed slain Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland.
The bodies of McLelland and his wife, Cynthia, were found March 30 in their home. An assistant district attorney, Mark Hasse, was gunned down Jan. 31.
Wiley grew up in Kaufman. She was a prosecutor in Dallas County and court-at-law judge before being approved by the Texas Senate to replace McLelland.
Ex-Justice of the Peace Eric Williams and his wife, Kim, are being held on capital murder charges. Eric Williams was convicted last year of theft and burglary for stealing county computer monitors. He was sentenced to probation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Rain moving through our area 53 min ago
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries 14 min ago
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover 17 min ago
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 5 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school