Texas search team to help after Oklahoma twister
raw video: Massive tornado in Oklahoma caught on video
raw video: Damage from Oklahoma City tornado
raw video: Fire erupts after Oklahoma City tornado
MOORE, OK -- Members of an elite search and rescue team from Texas have been dispatched to Oklahoma to help with recovery following a deadly tornado.
Gov. Rick Perry on Monday night announced activation of Texas Task Force 1 (one). The emergency response came after a massive twister Monday afternoon in the Moore, Okla., area left several dozen people dead.
The Texas rescue group includes about 70 first responders who specialize in victim extraction and medical treatment. The team also includes search and rescue dogs, hazardous material specialists and structural engineers.
Members of Texas Task Force 1 last month deployed to the town of West after a fertilizer plant explosion that's claimed 15 lives.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
oklahoma, kansas, state
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 25 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 8 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving HISD school 34 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston