Waco man gets 50-year sentence for rib theft
WACO, TX -- A jury has sentenced a Waco man convicted of stealing a rack of ribs to 50 years in prison.
Forty-three-year-old Willie Smith Ward was convicted and sentenced on robbery charges Wednesday. The Waco Tribune-Herald reports that Ward's theft of the $35 rack of pork ribs turned into a robbery after he threatened a grocery store employee who tried to stop him in 2011.
The employee testified that Ward told him he had a knife.
The jury recommended Ward be sentenced as a habitual criminal. Ward has previous felony convictions for burglary, attempted robbery, aggravated assault, leaving the scene of an accident and possession of cocaine, and four misdemeanor convictions, including two thefts.
He must serve at least a quarter of his sentence before he's eligible for parole.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby 55 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 39 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 39 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years 16 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 23 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest 27 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
4 min ago