Waco man gets 50-year sentence for rib theft
WACO, TX -- A jury has sentenced a Waco man convicted of stealing a rack of ribs to 50 years in prison.
Forty-three-year-old Willie Smith Ward was convicted and sentenced on robbery charges Wednesday. The Waco Tribune-Herald reports that Ward's theft of the $35 rack of pork ribs turned into a robbery after he threatened a grocery store employee who tried to stop him in 2011.
The employee testified that Ward told him he had a knife.
The jury recommended Ward be sentenced as a habitual criminal. Ward has previous felony convictions for burglary, attempted robbery, aggravated assault, leaving the scene of an accident and possession of cocaine, and four misdemeanor convictions, including two thefts.
He must serve at least a quarter of his sentence before he's eligible for parole.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety 4 min ago
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?