Soldier charged after daughter accidentally shot
KILLEEN, TX -- Authorities in Central Texas have arrested an Army specialist after his 2-year-old daughter was wounded in an accidental shooting.
Killeen police say Army Spc. Stephan Lemar Hicks' daughter was shot May 31 with a .40-caliber pistol that was left unattended. They say they don't know if the girl shot herself or by her 3-year-old brother.
The Killeen Daily Herald reports that Hicks is being charged with making a firearm accessible to a child, a misdemeanor.
According to police, Hicks said he typically would leave his gun out at night and put it away the next day. But he forgot to do so the day of the incident.
Police say the girl is being treated for serious injuries at a Temple hospital, but is expected to survive.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD: Homeless man shoots, kills armed burglar 27 min ago
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing husband's co-worker
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Stolen Snap-on truck found burning in NW Harris Co.
- SWAT scene underway in SW Houston 18 min ago
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US 24 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Casey Curry's Thursday weather forecast
30 min ago