State

Judge denies trial delay for Fort Hood shooting rampage suspect Maj. Nidal Hasan

Tuesday, June 18, 2013
This undated file photo provided by the Bell County Sheriffs Department shows Nidal Hasan the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage that left 13 dead.  (AP Photo/Bell County Sheriffs Department, File)

This undated file photo provided by the Bell County Sheriff's Department shows Nidal Hasan the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage that left 13 dead. (AP Photo/Bell County Sheriff's Department, File)

A military judge Tuesday refused a three-month trial delay for the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage.

Maj. Nidal Hasan made the request after the judge earlier this month allowed him to represent himself at the court-martial. Hasan said he needed more time to prepare for his "defense of others" strategy, which must show that a killing was necessary to prevent the immediate harm or death of others.

Last week, the judge, Col. Tara Osborn, said that defense strategy failed as a matter of law, barring Hasan from telling jurors that he shot U.S. troops because they posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, Hasan told the judge that he no longer needed more time to prepare, although Osborn said she would give him some additional time. Osborn is expected to set a trial date later Tuesday.

Hasan, an American-born Muslim, faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the attack that left 13 dead on the Texas Army post.

Jury selection was set to begin in late May, then was tentatively moved to early June. It's been on hold as various matters have remained unresolved.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

(Copyright ©2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more State »


Tags:
texas, fort hood, state
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement