Soldier dies of injuries suffered in Afghanistan
EL PASO, TX -- The Department of Defense has announced that a soldier stationed in Texas has died from wounds suffered in a noncombat incident in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Robert E. Thomas Jr. of Fontana, Calif., died Friday from injuries he sustained in April while in Maiwand, Afghanistan, in the southern part of that country.
Thomas died at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio.
He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team at Fort Bliss near El Paso, Texas.
A Fort Bliss spokesman said Saturday that Thomas was injured while at an Army base in Maiwand, but declined to provide any further details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 10 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school 19 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations 15 min ago