Soldier dies of injuries suffered in Afghanistan
EL PASO, TX -- The Department of Defense has announced that a soldier stationed in Texas has died from wounds suffered in a noncombat incident in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Robert E. Thomas Jr. of Fontana, Calif., died Friday from injuries he sustained in April while in Maiwand, Afghanistan, in the southern part of that country.
Thomas died at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio.
He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team at Fort Bliss near El Paso, Texas.
A Fort Bliss spokesman said Saturday that Thomas was injured while at an Army base in Maiwand, but declined to provide any further details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years