Soldier dies of injuries suffered in Afghanistan
EL PASO, TX -- The Department of Defense has announced that a soldier stationed in Texas has died from wounds suffered in a noncombat incident in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Robert E. Thomas Jr. of Fontana, Calif., died Friday from injuries he sustained in April while in Maiwand, Afghanistan, in the southern part of that country.
Thomas died at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio.
He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team at Fort Bliss near El Paso, Texas.
A Fort Bliss spokesman said Saturday that Thomas was injured while at an Army base in Maiwand, but declined to provide any further details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course