Businessman dies before murder for hire trial
SAN ANTONIO, TX -- A prominent San Antonio businessman and TV pitchman who had been awaiting trial for allegedly trying to hire a hit man to kill his estranged wife has died of heart problems related to lung cancer.
The San Antonio Express-News reports Michael Yuchnitz was found dead this past weekend in a hotel parking lot after having collapsed.
The 60-year-old's official cause of death was cardiomyopathy, with lung cancer listed as a contributing factor.
Yuchnitz, known for sporting colorful outfits in television commercials for his optical and tattoo shops, had been set to go on trial in March. He had been free on bond.
His wife, Tina Yuchnitz, filed for divorce after learning of the alleged plot against her. A jury in 2012 recommended the couple split their assets 50-50.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 1 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects