Sheriff's deputy killed in shootout at West Texas convenience store
McCAMEY, TX -- Authorities say a sheriff's deputy has been killed in a shootout with a suspect at a West Texas convenience store.
The Upton County Sheriff's Office says Billy "Bubba" Kennedy died late Wednesday at the store in McCamey, some 50 miles south of Odessa.
The 38-year-old Kennedy encountered a man and several shots were fired. The unidentified suspect is in custody and being treated for multiple gunshot wounds.
Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting.
No other information was immediately available.
Kennedy is the second Upton County deputy to be killed in approximately a year. Deputy Mike Smith died in June 2012 when his patrol car was struck by a tractor-trailer while en route to an emergency call.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 18 min ago
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades 20 min ago
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 22 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell 2 min ago
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 1 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 53 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos