1 hurt in fiery South Texas well site explosion
GILLETT, TX -- A fiery explosion at a South Texas oil well site has left one man with burns and investigators trying to determine what sparked the blaze.
The Karnes County Sheriff's Office says the accident happened before dawn Tuesday near Gillett when some batteries, salt water containers and diesel tanks apparently exploded.
The operator, Gulf Coast Acquisitions Co. L.C. of Refugio, didn't immediately comment Tuesday about the blast at the rural site 50 miles southeast of San Antonio.
The injured man has been flown to a San Antonio hospital. His name and further details weren't immediately released.
A stretch of Highway 80 that was closed as a precaution reopened late Tuesday morning after the fire died down. Emergency crews continued to monitor the site.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold 45 min ago
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston 34 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child 59 min ago
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known 43 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 21 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas 40 min ago
- 800 firefighters battle late fall fire in Big Sur
- Feds: Harvard bomb threat was hoax to avoid final
- DA tries again to put 'affluenza' teen behind bars
- Tougher new rules for game rooms
- Travis Herzog's Wednesday weather forecast
17 min ago