Man accused of killing mother-in-law who tried to stop beating
EL PASO, TX -- West Texas police say a 25-year-old man is in custody after fatally shooting his mother-in-law when she intervened to stop him from beating his wife.
Armando Munoz of El Paso remained in custody Tuesday on charges of murder and assault involving family violence. He's being held on a $1 million bond.
Investigators say Munoz became upset early Saturday morning when his wife complained about his loud music and poured out his beer. Munoz began to strike his wife, knocking her to the floor.
Bobbi Hackney tried to stop Munoz from beating her daughter, and Munoz then retrieved a handgun. Police say the women attempted to disarm him and Munoz shot the 47-year-old Hackney.
El Paso County jail officials did not have a lawyer listed for Munoz.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 1 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 17 min ago
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course 49 min ago
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects