Texas Department of Transportation to start shaming toll road violators
AUSTIN, TX (KTRK) -- The Texas Department of Transportation gave toll jumpers until noon today to pay up, or their names would go on the Internet.
The noon deadline was to avoid a public shaming the department says is necessary in order to recover $27 million in unpaid tolls.
Officials say they've sent notices to 28,000 vehicle owners who have more than 100 unpaid tolls. Tomorrow, the names of the top 25 violators will be released. Those who don't pay up will find their names published on the TxDOT.gov web site. Some of the offenders have thousands in unpaid tolls.
In addition to publishing the names of the scofflaws, the department may also ban the vehicles from all toll roads and impound the vehicle if police stop it. TxDOT can also notify county tax assessors to block vehicle owners from renewing their registrations.
"It is unfair to ask lawful toll road users to offset the revenue lost to those who abuse the system," said Larry Phillips, Chairman of the House Transportation Committee. "I applaud this action and am glad money collected will go toward paying debt and operations."
According to the Harris County Toll Road Authority, this only applies to state toll roads. The state has a large toll road presence in Austin and Dallas. In the Houston area, it operators an 8.8-mile section of tollroad in Chambers County.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 11 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 28 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss 36 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 19 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 52 min ago
- First the wind, then the cold 15 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym 37 min ago
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
30 min ago
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym
37 min ago