Police: Texas grandmother gave drugs to granddaughter
PHOENIX, AZ (KTRK) -- A grandmother from Texas is accused of planting drugs on her granddaughter in a bizarre attempt to gain custody of the girl.
Police say Sanjuanita Carbajal, 58, planted four grams of cocaine on her nine-year-old granddaughter and told her to show it to her teachers. Her grandmother says the drugs came from the girl's father.
"I love my granddaughter too much to have done anything, or to do anything like that to her," said Carbajal. "Her innocence has been taken away. I feel like I've lost all chances of seeing her."
Carbajal is accused of child abuse. She says she had been hoping to buy a home close to her granddaughter. She had limited custody of the girl.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind 53 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- New Houston light rail line opens for business 40 min ago
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Wind damage in River Oaks area 58 min ago
- Wind damage in River Oaks area
58 min ago