Dad said he was burping baby when son suffered brain injury
SAN ANTONIO, TX -- A South Texas man has been charged with child abuse after he allegedly caused a brain injury to his then-2-month-old son while burping the baby.
Ryan Schwope of Alamo Heights has been charged with causing serious bodily injury to a child. Online Bexar County jail records don't list attorney information for Schwope, who was released Thursday on $25,000 bond.
An arrest affidavit says Schwope told Alamo Heights police that he might have slapped the baby too hard while burping him. Police say the incident happened in November as Schwope watched the baby overnight, for the first time by himself, while the mother worked. The suspect's 3-year-old son was also home.
Doctors say the baby suffered brain injury and had a seizure.
Further details on the infant weren't immediately available.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 17 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school 7 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations 22 min ago