Dozen immigrants in stolen SUV caught in Texas
FLATONIA, TX -- A stolen SUV chase in Central Texas has led to a dozen people who were crammed in the vehicle facing immigration or human smuggling charges.
The Fayette County Sheriff's Office says a deputy and a Texas trooper on Thursday pursued the SUV on Interstate 10 near Flatonia, about 80 miles east of San Antonio. Sheriff Keith Korenek says the driver refused to stop until the SUV ran out of roadway atop a hill.
Flatonia police helped arrest the dozen individuals who tried to run.
Investigators detained the driver on human trafficking and evading arrest charges. The other 11 people were turned over to federal immigration agents in the Houston area.
Authorities did not immediately provide additional information on the immigrants or say a possible destination.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 24 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 32 min ago
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets 21 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday! 42 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with these packing tips 48 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly