Dozen immigrants in stolen SUV caught in Texas
FLATONIA, TX -- A stolen SUV chase in Central Texas has led to a dozen people who were crammed in the vehicle facing immigration or human smuggling charges.
The Fayette County Sheriff's Office says a deputy and a Texas trooper on Thursday pursued the SUV on Interstate 10 near Flatonia, about 80 miles east of San Antonio. Sheriff Keith Korenek says the driver refused to stop until the SUV ran out of roadway atop a hill.
Flatonia police helped arrest the dozen individuals who tried to run.
Investigators detained the driver on human trafficking and evading arrest charges. The other 11 people were turned over to federal immigration agents in the Houston area.
Authorities did not immediately provide additional information on the immigrants or say a possible destination.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight 49 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John... 28 min ago
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians