Fugitive who taunted police on Facebook caught
LONDON, England -- An escaped British convict whose online antics drew an international Internet fan base has been caught after nearly four months on the run, police said Wednesday.
Craig "Lazie" Lynch, 28, was caught by Scotland Yard in southern England on Tuesday night. The force confirmed only that he had been arrested and gave few other details.
Lynch was serving time for burglary at a minimum security prison in Suffolk, eastern England. He escaped on Sept. 23 and has spent much of his time since posting defiant photos of himself mocking the police on the Internet.
The ensuing media attention drew as many as 40,000 fans to his Facebook page and other associated fan sites, spawning T-shirts and even a tribute song.
Lynch's page could not be located Wednesday.
Suffolk Constabulary said that Lynch had been charged with escaping from custody and was due to appear in court later Wednesday.
facebook, technology news
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 27 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou 24 min ago
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana 55 min ago
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?