Local cities want to test Google project
WOODLANDS, TX (KTRK) -- It could be the future when it comes to surfing the internet. It's called ultra high speed internet, and Google is looking for just the right town to test it out and there are two Houston area cities trying to convince Google to bring it here.Just thinking about the possibility is exciting for William Pham, the IT director for the Woodlands Township.
He said, "For a geek like me, I would move here for it."
Pham is in charge of applying to be one of the communities chosen as part of Google's ultra high speed internet test.
"We've already got the majority of the network in place. The fiber's already in place in the ground. We just need the final connection point," Pham said. "They're not going to have to come in here and start digging a lot of dirt from scratch. That saves them a lot of money because that investment has already been made."
And so, Pham says, the Woodlands is the perfect place for Google to install its experimental fiber optic network that would boost internet speeds astronomically.
"In the selected locations we'll offer internet access at up to 100 times faster than many Americans have access to today and at competitive prices," explained Google Product Manager James Kelly. "We want to get started as quickly as possible and we need to find the right community partners for it to succeed."
Google won't say which or even how many cities are interested in being part of its test project. However, we do know from various reports that the Woodlands has a lot of competition. The Woodlands is competing with Sugar Land and Shenandoah locally and other cities all over the country. Google won't say how many places it will choose, but the total number of people to get the new service will number between 50,000 and 500,000.
Google tells me an actual start date is not on the drawing board yet, but for Pham, it couldn't come fast enough.
the woodlands, google, technology news, tom abrahams
- Search in OK nears completion; tornado was EF5 38 min ago
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 32 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Watching line of storms to our north
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles 25 min ago
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using? 32 min ago
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned 20 min ago
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos