Firefox phones coming this summer
BARCELONA, Spain -- Mozilla, the non-profit foundation behind the popular Firefox Web browser, is getting into phones. But it's not stopping at Web browsers -- it's launching a whole phone operating system.
The Firefox OS will land in a crowded environment, where many small operating systems are trying to become the "third eco-system," alongside Apple's iOS and Google's Android. Together, those two account for 91 percent of smartphone sales, according to research firm IDC.
Mozilla has an ally in phone companies, who are interested in seeing an alternative to Apple and Google. Thirteen phone companies around the world have committed to supporting Firefox phones, Mozilla says, including Sprint Nextel in the U.S. Phones are expected this summer in countries like Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Poland, and Spain.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 4 min ago
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 18 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 37 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church