Who is behind the voice of Siri?
You've heard her voice many times. You may have even asked her to help you find a good restaurant or directions.
Siri is iPhone's virtual assistant, but who is the woman behind the famous voice?
"The first time I actually heard my voice as Siri was when my friend emailed me and said, 'Isn't this you?,'" voice actor Susan Bennett told CNN. "And because I didn't have the newest version of the iPhone, I went to the Apple site, and that's when I heard the voice and I went, 'Oh, that is me!'"
Bennett started her life as a machine quite young. She was the voice of Tillie the All-Time Teller, the first ATM.
The Siri voices were recorded in July 2005 -- four hours a day for the whole month.
"So when I recorded those voices, I had absolutely no idea where they would end up," Bennett said.
Bennett's voice can be heard on many GPS and telephone systems, and even in some airports. But finding out she was the voice behind Siri was surprising for Bennett.
"When I first discovered that was my voice, to be honest, it was a little creepy. I'm used to hearing my voice maybe in the airport," she said. "But this real thing that you can interact with in your hand was a little, it took some time for me to get used to it. She and I are friends now."
CNN contributed to this story.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home