Nelson Mandela responding better to treatment - South Africa
JOHANNESBURG -- Former South African President Nelson Mandela is responding better to treatment Wednesday morning for a recurring lung infection.
President Jacob Zuma told parliament that he is happy with the progress that Mandela is making "following a difficult last few days."
The 94-year-old former president was admitted to a Pretoria hospital on Saturday. It's the fourth time Mandela has been hospitalized for treatment since December.
Zuma noted that Wednesday marked the 49th anniversary of the sentencing of Mandela to life in prison in 1964. He said "our thoughts" are with Mandela and his family "on this crucial historical anniversary."
Mandela has been vulnerable to respiratory problems since contracting tuberculosis during 27 years as the prisoner of the white racist government. Most of that time was spent on Robben Island, off the coast of Cape Town, where Mandela and other prisoners spent part of the time toiling in a stone quarry.
He was freed in 1990, and then embarked on peacemaking efforts during the tense transition that saw the demise of the apartheid system and his own election as South Africa's first black president in 1994.
Outside Mandela's Johannesburg home, well-wishers continued to leave tributes to the former president.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 6 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party 16 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof 12 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating 25 min ago
- Girl's mom applauds suspension of kissing 6-year-old
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Von Trapps' Vt. lodge taps interest in new musical
- David Tillman's Thursday weather forecast
8 min ago