On Sundays at 11:00am, "Crossroads" celebrates African American heritage while it strives to educate and enlighten the viewer about the contributions African Americans make, and talks candidly about issues of concern in this particular community.
GOT IDEAS FOR FUTURE SHOWS? If there's an idea or issue you'd like to see discussed on Crossroads, let us know about it. Click here to send us your ideas!
Crossroads has included a series on economical empowerment, health care in the African American community, Houston as a "Third Coast" entertainment hub, and weddings from an African American perspective. Host Melanie Lawson, well known throughout her native Houston, brings a certain branding to Crossroads. A Princeton grad with a Law and Journalism degree from Columbia University, she brings all of her knowledge and experience to the development of topics for Crossroads.
"The major value of Crossroads is being able to bring stories and information of particular interest to African-Americans. It allows us the time to really examine issues in depth, or do an interview that gives you more insight into a person or group of people. I really enjoy being able to take part in the decision-making part *before* the show, as well as doing the actual interviews. I especially like doing packages on issues, newsmakers, or organizations that run much longer than they could on a newscast, giving viewers a chance to truly learn more and decide for themselves. In a city as diverse as Houston, it's a great vehicle and I find much of our regular audience is not African-American, but just Houstonians interested in what's going on in their city."
We want to say a special word of thanks to the friends of the U of H's women's studies. This is the 15th year that they've recorded the oral histories of some of Houston's most amazing women from all walks of life, and made them available in their permanent archives. If you're interested in hearing more of Tina Knowles' oral history or just want more information on the program, here's the link _____________________________________________
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 10 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 56 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 24 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter'
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver