On Sundays at 11:00am, "Crossroads" celebrates African American heritage while it strives to educate and enlighten the viewer about the contributions African Americans make, and talks candidly about issues of concern in this particular community.
GOT IDEAS FOR FUTURE SHOWS? If there's an idea or issue you'd like to see discussed on Crossroads, let us know about it. Click here to send us your ideas!
Crossroads has included a series on economical empowerment, health care in the African American community, Houston as a "Third Coast" entertainment hub, and weddings from an African American perspective. Host Melanie Lawson, well known throughout her native Houston, brings a certain branding to Crossroads. A Princeton grad with a Law and Journalism degree from Columbia University, she brings all of her knowledge and experience to the development of topics for Crossroads.
"The major value of Crossroads is being able to bring stories and information of particular interest to African-Americans. It allows us the time to really examine issues in depth, or do an interview that gives you more insight into a person or group of people. I really enjoy being able to take part in the decision-making part *before* the show, as well as doing the actual interviews. I especially like doing packages on issues, newsmakers, or organizations that run much longer than they could on a newscast, giving viewers a chance to truly learn more and decide for themselves. In a city as diverse as Houston, it's a great vehicle and I find much of our regular audience is not African-American, but just Houstonians interested in what's going on in their city."
We want to say a special word of thanks to the friends of the U of H's women's studies. This is the 15th year that they've recorded the oral histories of some of Houston's most amazing women from all walks of life, and made them available in their permanent archives. If you're interested in hearing more of Tina Knowles' oral history or just want more information on the program, here's the link _____________________________________________
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
- Family affected by HPD homicide probe speaks out
- Boy, 7, shot with BB gun in north Harris County
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Rockets fall to Portland again, down 2-0 in series
- Authorities: Deadly wreck sparked by fleeing driver
- Job fair Thursday only for veterans, spouses
- Two people shot outside auto shop
- Cy-Fair ISD: Bible OK to bring for independent reading
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death
- Former Houston cop facing drug charges
- Trapping feral hogs and feeding the hungry
- Bachelorette contestant dies in paragliding accident
- Houston to raze abandoned homes, resell land