AIA Sandcastle Competition
Saturday, May 31, 2008
East Beach, Galveston, TX
Don't miss the 22nd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition, Saturday, May 31st, at East Beach.
For two decades, Houston area architects, designers, engineers and contractors have taken their tools to East Beach in Galveston for what is considered one of the world's largest sandcastle competitions. The Houston Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) sponsors this annual contest where some 80 teams have their eyes (and shovels) set on winning the prestigious "Golden Bucket" award.
Firms begin months in advance generating ideas, developing designs, and assigning duties. On the day of the event, the teams stretch along the beach meticulously sculpting their sand piles and working non-stop for five hours. Many of the designs are so intricate and complicated that some teams use large formwork systems, mechanized tampers, and water pumping systems. The judging of the sandcastles is rated on originality of concept, artistic execution of the concept, technical difficulty, carving technique, and utilization of the site.
At the end of the day, everyone goes home with memories of a great day on the beach filled with fun, sun, sand, and sea. The event is free. Parking is $10 per car.
For more information regarding the SandCastle Competition, please contact the AIA Houston office at 713-520-0155.
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight 1 min ago
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial 49 min ago
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!