Teams hit the water of Buffalo Bayou
HOUSTON -- Crowds of spectators and teams of paddlers turned out in force for the 8th Annual Houston Dragon Boat Festival.
The race was held Saturday morning at Allen's Landing in downtown Houston. Hundreds of enthusiastic paddlers took to the water of Buffalo Bayou to race for the title.
For the second year, a group of willing participants from Channel 13 decided to hop in a boat and give it a shot, along with the other 31 teams. Included in this rag-tag team were In Focus Reporter Ted Oberg -- now known for keeping a good beat and proving an excellent motiviator, Meteorologist Casey Curry, who brought her sunny outlook and yummy sandwiches, and Reporter Miya Shay, who did extra duty as a paddler, photographer/videographer, and the event MC.
This year, Channel 13 claims bragging rights of beating students and lawyers. (For those keeping score at home, the first year, the KTRK team is proud to have finished each race they began. You figure out how well we placed.)
In the first race, we finished second in the heat, beating a team from Lee High School. For their second race of the day, Channel 13 beat the only other team in the heat -- a team from Tindall and Foster, a big immigration law firm.
Congratulations to all the teams who took part in this thrilling festival!
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 31 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 10 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 18 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Stacy Keibler marries boyfriend in Mexico