Earth Day festival at Discovery Green
HOUSTON -- Houston has a new reason to celebrate. As Discovery Green marks its first anniversary, Earth Day Houston, the city's official Party for Our Planet, debuts on-site Saturday, April 11, from 9am to 6pm.
The festivities kick off with the Mothers for Clean Air Earth Day 5K at 8 a.m. followed by a day-long celebration with family entertainment, environmental education, and much more.
The FREE one-day celebration will focus on the merits of mindful, sustainable living while educating and encouraging Houstonians to preserve, conserve and enhance our city and the Earth. Developed by the Galveston -Houston Association for Smog Prevention (GHASP) and Mothers for Clean Air, Earth Day Houston is a collaboration with the City of Houston, Discovery Green, and various green non-profit agencies.
Planned activities include the Earth Zone featuring interactive environmental awareness activities highlighting land, air, water, and renewable energy. H-E-B is sponsoring a Farmers Market with Central City Co-op, in support of locally-grown produce and flowers for sale. The Kids Energy Zone has inflatable maze and Discovery Greens' popular water feature and playscape for kids of all ages to use their natural energy.
An Environmental Education Zone, sponsored by Green Bank, will be full of art activities for kids using recycled materials, the latest in Lexus hybrid transportation, a display of a 6-foot tall Cool Globe, part of a national conservation awareness campaign, and representative agencies of the Citizens' Environmental Coalition. Live music with Flying Fish Sailor, Beetle, Allen Oldies Band and Texodus, plus plenty of food and beverage on site will round out the day's events.
For more information about Earth Day Houston or the Mothers for Clean Air Earth Day 5K, visit www.earthdayhouston.org or call 713-528-3779.
WHAT: Houston's official FREE Earth Day celebration with interactive environmental awareness displays on air, water, land, renewable energy conservation, plus music, a farmers' market, inflatable maze and recycling art activities for kids, and a 6-foot-tall Cool Globe, part of a national awareness campaign
WHO: Thousands of families, 20+ green agencies, and an appearance by Mayor Bill White at 2:15 p.m. on the stage for a dedication
WHEN: Saturday, April 11, 2009
8am - Mothers for Clean Air 5K
9am to 6pm - Earth Day Houston Festival
WHERE: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney, 77010
* Cool Globe -- 6-foot-tall, one of 40 for display coming in Oct.
* Earth Zone -- solar-powered popcorn machine, composting 101, pollution in the air detection demos, smelly scavenger hunt, rock climbing wall, and more
* Kids learning how to use recycled materials for art projects, maze
* Latest in hybrid transportation
* Living Statue
* Stage Schedule
11 a.m. - Flying Fish Sailor
12:45 p.m. - Beetle
2:15 p.m. - Mayor Bill White
2:30 p.m. - Allen Oldies Band
4:15 p.m. - Texodus
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse 2 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever 39 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos