Our top 13 pizza places in Houston
(8/11/07 - original abc13.com report/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- We've shared our top barbecue, burger and sandwich shops in Houston, but what about pizza?
We're not professional food critics, just two guys who have taken it upon ourselves to seek out the best pizza places in Houston. This time we ran into trouble trying to narrow our choices down to 10 so we went with lucky number 13! (Make sure to leave your reviews and vote for your favorite)Antonio's Flying Pizza
2920 Hillcroft at Westheimer
Great crust. Excellent sauce. One of the best pies in town. The service can be a little dicey sometimes, but the pizza is top-notch. (Joe's pick) Barry's Pizza
6003 Richmond at Fountainview
Nice crust. Good sauce. Very good pizza. Nice change of pace for folks too good for national pizza chain restaurants. (Joe's pick) Candelari's
Washington Avenue at Westcott
This place has a good selection of pizzas and will probably be a place that shows up in a meat lover's dreams. The pizza is not greasy, but has a thicker, chewier crust than a lot of places. This location has a nice porch that is perfect for families or the sports team celebrating a post game victory. (Mike's pick) Collina's Italian Café
3835 Richmond Avenue
Some things are worth waiting for and the pizza at Collina's falls into that category. That's a fancy way of saying you'll probably have to wait a little before getting a seat. No big deal, just wear comfortable shoes. Collina's has some great personalized pizzas that you can trick out anyway you like with lots of topping choices. Go on Mondays at lunch and get the special. My big recommendation is to stick with the Richmond Avenue location, I haven't had much luck at the other spots around town. Also, it's BYOB at night. (Mike's pick) Dolce Vita Pizzeria Enoteca
500 Westheimer Rd
If you meet me in person, you won't mistake me for a trendsetter or hipster, so why do I go to this place? It's the pizza, not the scene. Sure there are a lot of people who are at the restaurant to be seen living the good life. But remember it's not Fellini you are here for, it's the crazy assortment of pizzas on the menu! Trust me, the pizza here is like nothing else in town, but you'll have to wait for it most likely. Also, don't make the mistake Joe and I made when it first opened, this place is not open for lunch. Drinks are good too. (Mike's pick) Frank's Pizza
Discovered this place while we were covering a big trial downtown and couldn't leave our truck to go to lunch. They delivered and man, what a good pizza. Good sauce. Very good flaky crust. You can't beat it, especially downtown. (Joe's pick) Fuzzy's Pizza
Good pizza with a slightly sweet sauce. Very good crust. This is one of the first really good pizza places in town that I came across when I first got here. And It's still good after all these years. (Joe's pick) Kenneally's Irish Pub
2111 S Shepherd Dr
This place has the most unusual pizza, but don't let that fool you. It's tops as far as a super thin crust goes. You might want to try the Shamrock Special for a chance to sample corned beef pizza. Hey, we said it was unusual. If you are a dart player, then you might really like this place. (Mike's pick) Late Nite Pie
502 Elgin St
If you are looking for a hole in the wall kind of place to get your pizza fix, this could be the place for you. Well it's not so much a hole in the wall, but an old garage to be technical about it. Forget detail and concentrate on the good cheesy pizza. We ordered mushroom, half pepperoni/half hamburger and it wasn't too greasy. If anyone suggests the great bread sticks, I'd probably pass, they weren't that exciting. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the waitress was very nice. Don't rush over here too early, like the name suggest, they stay open very late. (Mike's pick) New York Pizzeria
2250 W. Holcombe
This is the original location of the New York Pizzeria chain and I think it's the best. Incredible sauce and flaky crust. You can get it by the slice, New York style. I love their Margherita pizza. They also have gargantuan 28" versions of their pizzas that have to be seen to be believed. This is one of the top pizza places in town. (Joe's pick) Pronto Cucinino
1401 Montrose (new location coming to Buffalo Speedway & Holcombe)
Excellent single-serving pizzas. Limited selection, but really good crust and the freshest ingredients. Great with a salad for a semi-light lunch. (Joe's pick) Romano's Pizza & Italian Restaurant
1528 W Gray
Dieters be warned, this place is really good, but it's super cheesy and greasy. Who cares when the crust is this good? The garlic bread isn't too shabby either. The chefs like to cook the pepperoni on the softer side, but will crispen it up for you on request. You know it's good when the owners are right behind the counter, plus that makes it a great family location. (Mike's pick) Star Pizza
My favorite place for deep dish. Good fresh ingredients. One slice is a meal in itself. I like the non-meat version with spinach and roma tomatoes. An outstanding deep-dish pie. (Joe's pick) By the way, no one from abc13 receives money, advertisement or free meals when picking out these favorite restaurants.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)
Leave your reviews and we'll post them. Reader reviews
Locatelli's Pizza at 13215 Grant Rd has great pizza. The dough is made fresh daily. If they run out they are out. They tell you they are sorry but they have no more. They also use alot of fresh ingredients on their pizza's.They also have some of the freshest salads you will find.
- Denise Mr. gattis slogan is, "best pizza in town...honest, and i agree, it is...
- Wendy Echols Hi Mike from Paris. It seems strange, but the best pizza ever is in Paris. Something about the mozzarella and the sauce and the bread - they know how to make pizza here.
- Allison I love Double Daves Pizza. I was gone for a year and I was having Double Daves with drawls.It taste like the old Chicago Pizza and they don't skip on the Toppings Westheimer near Dairyashford. YUM!
- Christin Graman Try Paul's pizza in Tomball. The pizza and salads are worth the drive.
- David Birraporetti's has some GOOD pizza (Deluxe). Yes, I was surprised but I've been back!
- Janice Amen to Brother's Pizza!!! They are very similar to Romano's....both delicious!
- Jennifer Gill Ramano's pizza hands down, the true test is eating pizza cold. wife & I order 20" pie right off the slice shelf. Best pizza you can get in Houston. The rest of the menu is very nice to as are the people that work at romano's.
- Kurt Harper Get out of Houston folks. Friendswood's best kept secret is Stefano's Pizza. Wonderful pizza and freshly made Italian dishes!!
- Mandi Threre are a lot of great places to eat pizza and other things outside the loop area. It appears that all of the reviews you hear about only include the Southwest side of town.
- Tammy Gerlich Brother's pizza is the best! Also Greek Tony's in the woodlands is to die for as well!!
- Stephanie S. You all have to try Sicily Pizza on West Bellfort and Kirkwood.It is real italian style.The crust is alway's so fresh.
- Gregary Floyd Brooklyn Pizzeria is super GOOD! This family is related to the Brother's Pizza family. The pizza is a little greasy but still very good you can find them at 1960& Townsend.
- Melissa C. Frank's pizza is the best pizza I have put into my mouth. Great local around downtown sports games. We recommend this place to everyone.
- Aimee If you know New York Pizza , you have to try Locatelli's on Louetta & Grant rd. in Northwest Houston. It is the best I tasted since being exposed to New york Pizza!!!!!
- E. Leal Hey, Spanky's pizza is not on here- Their pizza is excellent.
- Ruby Pizzani's on Mercury Drive in Jacinto City. Best pizza in town !!!!
- J Urban I'm surprised that California Pizza Kitchen didn't make the list. Too many pizza places are like politicians...just make the same old boring pies, with just tiny differences. :) I would like to know if there are more places like CPK...?
- Tim Dugan Napoli's Pizza on Memorial, just west of Dairy Ashford, makes one of the best New York-style pies in town. And their marinara sauce is to die for.
- Steve Krodman Best Pizza... get out side the loop, I am sure you know life does exist out here..Fat Daddies Pizza in Cypress.
- Race Morgenroth The Candelari's in Bellaire is also excellent, and their delivery people are the BEST!!!!
- C Nickelson Brother's Pizza should be in the top 5! I started eating Brother's when they were in Greenspoint mall years ago. I drive out of my way to get there when I'm craving a good slice of pizza.
- Eric Rocha The best Pizza is Locatelli's on Spring Cypress and Grant.. I have never had pizza that great and when we take people they all say the same thing never will I eat pizza from another place...
- Marisa My Grandson and I stopped in at Steel City Pizzeria on Sawdust in the Woodlands and I was very impressed with their Pizza. We will be going back.
- Joe You need to try Brothers Pizza Hwy 6 at I-10.I eat there at least once a week.Thet even remember my name.It is the best.
- Doug You must not have gone to brothers, I'm sure it would have been on the list if not NUMBER ONE!!!!
- Denise Try Guido's Pizza Pies on Louetta at SH249. Fresh ingredients and great tasting pizza.
- John Grimsley Brother's Pizza blows all the others away. I can't beleive they didn't even make your list. You have to try their pizza.
- Darlene You guys missed THE best pizza place in Houston. Brother's Pizza at Highway 6 and I-10 is to DIE for. The family run business comes straight from Brooklyn. The pizza is hot, fresh and so good! It's ALWAYS packed.
- Carli You totally missed one of the best pizza places in town...! Spanky's pizza @ gulfgate.
- Gabriel Go north to Kingwood to J. Christopher's on Northpark Drive. My whole family (a lot of folks) like their Chicago style pizza (whatever that is) better than any other in the area.
- Malcolm Harris Pepperoni's in Sugar Land is to die for. Their style of pizza pies rival that of New York! There are at least 4 Pepperoni's in the Greater Sugar Land and Richmond area. Try one today!
- Drew Palazzo's, 10455 Briar Forest, Houston, TX 77042,713-785-8800 For the best pizza.
- Ronald Munier EJ's Pizza off of barker cypress and 290 is awesome.
- Jessica I WAS SURPRISED THAT BROTHER'S PIZZA WAS NOT ON YOUR LIST. BROTHER'S IS HARD TO BEAT!
- D. Williams I can't believe you guys did not list Brothers Pizza (I-10 & Hwy 6) as one of your top picks. Hands down, it is the best Pizza in Houston. The Pizza is not greasy at all and it taste awesome. I have tried other pizza joints around Houston & there is none like Brothers Pizza!
- David Try Daddy-O's Pizza on Antoine..garlicky, great crust..wonderful.
- M Monju Obviously you did not visit Brothers Pizza, they are truley the best pizza anywhere in Houston! I like the location at Hwy 6 & I-10, the line at lunch time says it all!
- Kate Crow Being a native New Yorker and pizza lover, my favorite pizza place is Brothers Pizza. The location I order from is at Mills and Perry. Nothing fancy.... Just REAL pizza!
- Judy DeWeese
Pink's Pizza on Heights Blvd @ 14th St. They are a new locations but they have some out of sight pizza. Anything you like or special orders. Try It.
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- HISD expanding dual language program
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- David Tillman's weather forecast
12 min ago