Part of Hwy 59 to be shut down for construction
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Construction work on the direct connectors for US 59 North at Beltway 8 will create delays for motorists traveling in northern Harris County this weekend.
On Saturday, June 26 and Sunday, June 27, crews will close the following roadways from 5am to 7pm, daily.
- US 59 North mainlanes, north -- and southbound -- from Aldine Bender to Greens Road. Motorists will be detoured to the frontage road.
- Beltway 8 frontage road, east -- and westbound -- at US 59 North. Motorists traveling on the frontage road eastbound will be detoured to the US 59 southbound frontage road to Aldine Bender and U-turn to the US 59 northbound frontage road, to Beltway 8. Motorists traveling the frontage road westbound will be detoured to the US 59 northbound frontage road to Greens Road and U-turn to the US 59 southbound frontage road, to Beltway 8.
These closures are necessary for the contractor to safely hang new bridge beams. Local law enforcement will provide traffic control to facilitate movement for the detour along the frontage roads.
The Texas Transportation Commission awarded Williams Brothers Construction Company, Inc., the $29.6 million contract in August 2009 to build four direct connector ramps at US 59 North and Beltway 8. The new ramps will connect US 59 north- and southbound to Beltway 8 eastbound, and Beltway 8 westbound to US 59 north- and southbound. This project is funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and is estimated to be complete mid-2011.
Scheduled lane closure information is available on the Houston TranStar website at www.houstontranstar.org. All closures are subject to change due to inclement weather.
Also SeeMore:Houston Transtar JamCams
More:Live Houston-area traffic map
More:More traffic coverage
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged 20 min ago
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home