Major closure planned for I-10 this weekend
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If you have weekend plans that involve traveling on I-10, we have a big closure that you need to know about.
Starting Friday at 9pm and lasting until Monday at 5am, all eastbound main lanes of I-10 between Studemont and I-45 will be closed. This includes the Smith Street exit to downtown. Drivers trying to get downtown or further east will be detoured to the I-10 feeder road to Studemont, where they'll U-trun to access the I-10 westbound main lanes to the ramp to the 610 West Loop northbound. From there, drivers can take I-45 southbound to get back to I-10 east of downtown.
Also, several eastbound main lanes of I-10 between Antoine and Studemont and the entrance ramps will be closed during the same time period. All I-10 eastbound through-traffic will be detoured to the 610 West Loop northbound. Detour via the 610 North Loop to I-45 to access I-10 east of downtown. Officers will be on site to assist with traffic control.
The closure will be so that crews can repair a section of the Houston Avenue Bridge damaged by a freight truck that TxDOT says was over the maximum height limit attempting to pass under it.
Other required closures include:
- 610 West Loop southbound connector ramp to I-10 Katy eastbound will be closed Friday at 8:30pm until Monday at 5am. Motorists can continue southbound on IH 610 West Loop to US 59 Southwest Freeway to reach IH 10.
- Houston Avenue in both directions over Katy Freeway will also be closed. To detour, take a left on White Oak/Quitman, right on N. Main, right on Hogan/Crockett to Houston Ave
TxDOT is urging drivers to stay off of I-10 beyond 610. They say it's fine to use frontage roads in that area to get to business, but not to travel on them.
Another closure in southeast Houston
TxDOT will also close the FM 1959/Dixie Farm Road overpass at the Gulf Freeway Friday at 9pm. It'll stay closed until October of this year as the overpass is reconstructed. The Gulf freeway main lanes will eventually go over FM 1959/Dixie Farm Road, which should improve mobility in the area.
Also SeeMore:Houston Transtar JamCams
More:Live Houston-area traffic map
More:More traffic coverage
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos