TRAFFIC ALERT: Weekend construction in and around downtown Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We've got a few downtown area traffic alerts to tell you about this weekend involving Interstate 10 and METRORail lines.
A total closure of all westbound main lanes of I-10 East Freeway at Waco Street near downtown Houston is underway to continue repairs to the Waco Street Bridge east of downtown Houston that was struck by an over-height truck in December.
Motorists should expect delays and should consider an alternate route if possible.
Until 5am Monday, all main lanes of East Freeway westbound will be closed at Waco Street. Motorists will be detoured to the frontage and through the signalized intersection to reenter the main lanes of the East Freeway.
There will also be additional closures to complete the repairs:
- I-10 East Freeway westbound entrance ramp from Lockwood will be closed until Monday at 5am. Detour to the IH 10 East Freeway westbound entrance ramp from Waco.
- Waco Street southbound at I-10 East Freeway will be closed until 5am Monday. Detour to the I-10 East Freeway westbound entrance ramp from Waco to the I-10 East Freeway westbound main lanes. Exit at Gregg Street and take a left to go south on Gregg, then take a left to go east on the I-10 East Freeway. Continue eastbound to the Waco Street exit to Waco southbound.
- Waco Street northbound at I-10 East Freeway will be closed until Monday at 5am. Detour to the I-10 East Freeway eastbound frontage road to Lockwood. Take a left on left on Lockwood, left on the I-10 East Freeway westbound frontage road to Waco northbound.
Construction to affect two METRORail lines this weekend
There will be no METRORail service on the Red Line or the Main Street Line this weekend. That line runs from the University of Houston Downtown out to Fannin South. The line shut down at 7:45pm Friday and won't reopen until midnight Sunday. The shutdown is allowing for construction on the new light rail line, and also for rail maintenance.
If you rely on the Main Street Line, METRO will operate shuttle buses every 10 minutes during regular rail service hours on these days, but buses will not be able to go to the UH Downtown station because of construction. METRO says to keep in mind that bus service does take longer, so plan accordingly.
Detours: Rusk traffic to detour north on Travis, east on Texas, south on Fannin and east on Rusk. Capitol traffic is to detour south on Fannin, west on Walker, north on Travis and west on Capitol.
Check real-time traffic information in our ABC13.com traffic section
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
Also SeeMore:Houston Transtar JamCams
More:Live Houston-area traffic map
More:More traffic coverage
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 10 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 34 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah