Fatal wreck shuts down I-45 SB HOV at Airtex
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deadly accident in the North Freeway HOV lane brought traffic to a crawl for commuters coming into town this morning.
It happened around 5:30am along I-45 at Airtex. A pedestrian in the HOV lane was struck by a Honda Civic driven by an off-duty Harris County Sheriff's Office deputy.
The pedestrian, described as an adult male, was pronounced dead at the scene. We don't know why that person was in the HOV lane on foot.
After the accident, the HOV was shut down, as were two inbound lanes of I-45 and one outbound lane. Two METRO buses were stopped behind the wreck in the HOV lane. A third bus came in the main lanes and picked up those stranded passengers.
All lanes have since reopened. The victim's identity has not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
Also SeeMore:Houston Transtar JamCams
More:Live Houston-area traffic map
More:More traffic coverage
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 1 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 23 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today 38 min ago
- Rescuers rush to reach hundreds in SKorean ferry 8 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing 45 min ago
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas