Damaging thunderstorm winds
- Downburst wind gusts, commonly called "straight-line" winds, can reach speeds up to 100 mph and produce damage similar to weak tornadoes.
- In southeast Texas, downburst wind damage is twice as common as tornado damage.
- On average, there are seven damaging wind reports in Harris County every year.
- Since 1950, severe wind events in Harris County have resulted in 3 deaths, 26 injuries, and $85 million dollars in damage.
Trees, fences, and trampolines are the most common objects damaged during these high winds events. Take preventative measures to trim back tree limbs, strengthen old fences, and secure trampolines to the ground long before the next storm strikes.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)Related Links:
- Flooding Facts and Safety Tips
- Lightning Facts and Safety Tips
- Hail Facts and Safety Tips
- Tornado Facts and Safety Tips
- Severe Wind Facts and Safety Tips
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston 28 min ago
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope 37 min ago
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Want to buy pot, legally? Head to Uruguay
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos