Damaging thunderstorm winds
- Downburst wind gusts, commonly called "straight-line" winds, can reach speeds up to 100 mph and produce damage similar to weak tornadoes.
- In southeast Texas, downburst wind damage is twice as common as tornado damage.
- On average, there are seven damaging wind reports in Harris County every year.
- Since 1950, severe wind events in Harris County have resulted in 3 deaths, 26 injuries, and $85 million dollars in damage.
Trees, fences, and trampolines are the most common objects damaged during these high winds events. Take preventative measures to trim back tree limbs, strengthen old fences, and secure trampolines to the ground long before the next storm strikes.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)Related Links:
- Flooding Facts and Safety Tips
- Lightning Facts and Safety Tips
- Hail Facts and Safety Tips
- Tornado Facts and Safety Tips
- Severe Wind Facts and Safety Tips
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale