Damaging thunderstorm winds
- Downburst wind gusts, commonly called "straight-line" winds, can reach speeds up to 100 mph and produce damage similar to weak tornadoes.
- In southeast Texas, downburst wind damage is twice as common as tornado damage.
- On average, there are seven damaging wind reports in Harris County every year.
- Since 1950, severe wind events in Harris County have resulted in 3 deaths, 26 injuries, and $85 million dollars in damage.
Trees, fences, and trampolines are the most common objects damaged during these high winds events. Take preventative measures to trim back tree limbs, strengthen old fences, and secure trampolines to the ground long before the next storm strikes.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)Related Links:
- Flooding Facts and Safety Tips
- Lightning Facts and Safety Tips
- Hail Facts and Safety Tips
- Tornado Facts and Safety Tips
- Severe Wind Facts and Safety Tips
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife 33 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus 21 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 19 min ago
- Students prep for national robotics...
25 min ago