Heavy rain expected with potential for flooding
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Be prepared for some heavy rain the next couple of days. The most likely time for heavy rain across the area is later this afternoon (for the afternoon/evening rush hour), through the overnight, tomorrow morning and during the day Thursday.A Flash Flood Watch goes into effect for most of the area this evening through Thursday evening. This is because any heavy rain that falls could quickly lead to flash flooding. The ground is still saturated in many areas from last week's rain, plus our rivers, bayous, etc. are still running high.
A Coastal Flood Watch is in effect now through Thursday evening. This is NOT for rain. This is for strong easterly winds elevating high tides to 3-4' the next couple of days. Most vulnerable spots to flooding will likely be on the Bolivar Peninsula.
If you spot flooding weather conditions in your part of town, please send us your weather photos.
Keeping an eye on the Gulf
Deep tropical moisture from the northern Gulf and from the tropical wave around the Yucatan is responsible for our potential heavy rain event. Drier air will start to move in on Friday.
The Yucatan tropical wave is still pretty disorganized. Conditions are marginal for development: Gulf water temps are warm, but wind shear is a bit of an issue to the north of the system. The National Hurricane Center still lists this wave with a medium chance (40%) of becoming a tropical cyclone in the next couple of days. Whether it develops further or not, we're still tapped into its moisture through at least tomorrow.
Check our Hurricane Guide to keep an eye on the possible development.
weather, casey curry
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight 12 min ago
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment 55 min ago
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians