CHECKLIST: After the storm
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
After a tropical storm or hurricane threatens, use this checklist.
- Stay in your protected area until announcements are made on the radio or TV that the dangerous winds have passed.
- If you have evacuated, do not return home until officials announce your area is ready. Remember, proof of residency may be required in order to re-enter the evacuation areas.
- Be aware of the surroundings when returning as extreme damage could render a familiar landscape unrecognizable.
- If your home or building has structural damage, do not enter until it is checked by officials.
- Beware of outdoor hazards such as downed power lines and any water they may be lying in, poisonous snakes driven from their dens by high water, weakened bridges, washed out roads, weakened limbs on trees, and/or damaged overhanging structures.
- Do not use the telephone unless absolutely necessary. The system is usually jammed with calls during and after a hurricane.
- Guard against spoiled food. Use dry or canned food. Do not drink or prepare food with tap water until you are certain it is not contaminated with flood waters.
- When cutting up fallen trees, use caution, especially if you use a chain saw. Serious injuries can occur when these powerful machines snap back or when the chain breaks.
- Notify your insurance agent about damage to your house. Take video or still pictures of damaged property. Keep records of your clean up cost.
(Source: National Weather Service Forecast Office)
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent 37 min ago
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 18 min ago
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects 8 min ago
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret