Galveston officials cancel 'Look and leave'
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Officials have found themselves overwhelmed by the numbers of people who wanted to come see their homes, and they're having to put a stop to the 'look and leave' policy.
At noon Tuesday, Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas announced Galveston residents would be allowed onto the island in order to come survey their property, but they wouldn't be allowed to stay on the island. The 'look and leave' policy is supposed to be in effect from 6am to 6pm. At 6pm, the city's curfew goes into effect.
Massive numbers of residents tried to get onto the island, but the traffic backup became too much for officials to deal with. Galveston residents and business owners were asked to photo identification at highway check points under the policy. The overwhelming numbers of people trying to gain access caused a back up on I-45 for miles.
At 6pm, the announcement came that Mayor Thomas has suspended the 'look and leave' program for Galveston Island, indefinitely, effective immediately. At 6pm, all vehicles still in the line were turned around and refused access to the island.
The city was under a mandatory evacuation order before Ike, which knocked out all medical facilities, water, sewer, electricity and gas services.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller 29 min ago
- Katy ISD student reportedly abducted from campus 43 min ago
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Video: Cabbies compete for ride business
- Video: Pope Francis stirs up a little controversy
- Man wants to remove 'murder' tattoo before murder trial
- Club's opening night ends in deadly gunfire
- Boy, 9, sang gospel until abductor released him
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos