Homes in Baytown may need to be demolished
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- We set out to do a story with an insurance adjuster yesterday on what to do in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike. But when we arrived at one home, the insurance angle took a back seat because of the magnitude of the destruction. And the community isn't even on the coast. It's in the city of Baytown.
Ike tore apart the Lakewood subdivision, which sits along the bank of Burnett Bay. Residents there are trying to clean up. And between the piles of debris and downed tree limbs, there's plenty for them to do. The streets in the
Many of the homes there are in such bad shape now, they'll likely need to be demolished.
An insurance adjuster told us that you should protect everything you own because insurance doesn't cover everything.
"Insurance can replace a lot of stuff, but it can't replace family portraits. They got a lot of that stuff out of the hurricane zone because nothing can ever replace that," said Jeff Breor with Safeco Insurance about one family in the subdivision.
He suggests you should document all of your personal belongings by taking photographs of every room in your house and even marking specific items and keeping that documentation in a safe place.
We've seen Baytown police making rounds throughout the neighborhood to help residents protect what might be left in the debris.
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident 4 min ago
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games 48 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 11 min ago