HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The most important thing you should do to prepare for a hurricane is to gather three days worth of food and water for every member of your family. You'll need at least one gallon of water per person per day. Food should be non-perishable canned food or dry mixes that do not require refrigeration or special preparation.Prepare your family, then prepare your home. Consider installing storm shutters to protect your windows from breaking. Learn how to shut off your utilities. Make copies of important documents. Decide where your pets will do during the storm.
Determine whether or not you live in a hurricane evacuation zone by checking the maps on www.abc13.com and figure out which roads you'll take when asked to leave.
If you think you'll need help evacuating, call 2-1-1 now to register. Even if you registered last year, you need to call again to register for this hurricane season.
Your homeowners insurance will not cover loses due to flooding. Ask your insurance agent about special "flood insurance."
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
hurricane central, tim heller
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 40 min ago
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders