HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Hurricanes and tropical storms bring more than wind and rain. There are many different types of weather that could affect your family's safety.Storm Surge: Strong winds can push a large mound of salt water ashore hours before a hurricane makes landfall. Neighborhoods along the coast and other low-lying areas could be completely flooded. Buildings could be completely destoyed by the powerful, raged waves on top of the storm surge. The only way to protect yourself from the storm surge is to evacuate.
High Winds: Hurricane winds can damage or destroy buildings, uproot trees and knock down power lines. Debris flying through the air can cause additional damage or injury. While the wind will be strongest near the coast, hurricane force winds and stronger gusts can affect inland areas as well.
Heavy Rain: Tropical storms and hurricanes can produce torrential rainfall which could easily flood any inland neighborhood.
Tornadoes: Hurricanes can produce tornadoes close to the eyewall and hidden within the outer rainbands. Tropical twisters can hit suddenly, without the hail and lightning which usually occur in severe storms.
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
hurricane central, tim heller
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 18 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years 43 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 50 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest 54 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
14 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
31 min ago