Hurricane season officially ends today
Hurricane season officially ends today. As expected, the season was busier than normal with 19 tropical storms. According to ABC 13 Chief Meteorologist Tim Heller, this year ties with 2010, 1995 and 1887 as the third busiest season on record. Seven of the tropical storms developed into hurricanes, but only three of these strengthened into major hurricanes with winds over 110 mph.The worst storm of the season was Hurricane Irene which scrapped the east coast in late August. This was the first hurricane to make landfall in the U.S. since Hurricane Ike in 2008. Irene caused 40 deaths, $4 billion in damage and was only the second hurricane to hit New Jersey in the last 108 years.
Given the extreme drought conditions across Texas, this is the one year we were hoping a small tropical storm would bring us some rain. Instead, Tropical Storm Don made landfall in south Texas and Tropical Storm Lee blew into Louisiana. Making things worse, the winds around Lee produced extremely strong winds which fueled a massive wildfire in Bastrop State Park over Labor Day Weekend.
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
hurricane central, tim heller
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale