Hurricane season officially ends today
Hurricane season officially ends today. As expected, the season was busier than normal with 19 tropical storms. According to ABC 13 Chief Meteorologist Tim Heller, this year ties with 2010, 1995 and 1887 as the third busiest season on record. Seven of the tropical storms developed into hurricanes, but only three of these strengthened into major hurricanes with winds over 110 mph.The worst storm of the season was Hurricane Irene which scrapped the east coast in late August. This was the first hurricane to make landfall in the U.S. since Hurricane Ike in 2008. Irene caused 40 deaths, $4 billion in damage and was only the second hurricane to hit New Jersey in the last 108 years.
Given the extreme drought conditions across Texas, this is the one year we were hoping a small tropical storm would bring us some rain. Instead, Tropical Storm Don made landfall in south Texas and Tropical Storm Lee blew into Louisiana. Making things worse, the winds around Lee produced extremely strong winds which fueled a massive wildfire in Bastrop State Park over Labor Day Weekend.
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
hurricane central, tim heller
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery