Tropical Storm Chris forms, no threat to land
MIAMI, FL -- Forecasters say Tropical Storm Chris has formed off the coast of Newfoundland in the Atlantic Ocean but is no threat to land.The National Hurricane Center said Tuesday afternoon that the storm has maximum sustained winds of 45 mph (75 kph) and was moving east at 8 mph (13 kph).
The high-altitude storm is some 560 miles (900 kilometers) south-southwest of Cape Race. No coastal watches or warnings have been issued.
Forecasters say Chris is not expected to strengthen and will fizzle out quick by Wednesday night or Thursday.
Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide
hurricane, hurricane central
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep 40 min ago
- Boy, 5, drowns in Fort Bend County pool 7 min ago
- Another record could fall before Powerball drawing
- Witnesses rescue woman from kidnapping attempt
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area 25 min ago
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris County 7 min ago
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool 59 min ago
- Suspect dead, victim injured during shootout 56 min ago
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade 34 min ago
- Star Trek shuttle craft to be displayed in Houston
- Robbery suspects lead police on overnight chase
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos