Seabrook still waiting for Ike recovery funds
Monday, April 19, 2010
SEABROOK,TX (KTRK) -- Some communities say they're not getting help on the road to recovery.
[Look back at the storm that changed SE Texas] Seabrook says, unlike Galveston, it has yet to see federal money to dig out from under Hurricane Ike.Seabrook had 12 feet of storm surge during Ike. Since then, houses have been leveled or repaired. Businesses are returning to waterfront drive, the heart of the local seafood industry.
But the street is damaged and due for more than $6 million in federal recovery money which hasn't arrived. "In order for us to keep surviving...the next big hurricane, said Samantha Tran with Rose's Seafood. The state is pressing the federal government on Seabrook's behalf for the recovery money. It could arrive in three months -- in the middle of hurricane season.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
hurricane ike, ike anniversary
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 2 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change 7 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records
- Video: Health care sign up deadline approaching
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard