New Galveston mayor to talk about evacuations
GALVESTON, TX -- New Galveston Mayor Joe Jaworski wants to talk with Hurricane Ike-recovering residents about evacuating faster and returning sooner if there is another big storm.
Galveston's hurricane preparedness town hall meeting is scheduled for Wednesday night.
Jaworski, who took office last week, campaigned on a pledge of trying to reopen the island 24 to 72 hours after a disaster.
Ike devastated Galveston on Sept. 13, 2008.
Then-Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas, who was barred from seeking re-election due to term limits, closed Galveston for 11 days to most people except emergency personnel. Thomas has said she did the right thing during unsafe and unsanitary conditions.
A newly formed marine response team on Wednesday afternoon will conduct a mass casualty training exercise in Galveston.
galveston, ike anniversary
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 59 min ago
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 36 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class 33 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating' 10 min ago
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge 19 min ago
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- Motorcyclist dies after colliding with car
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Are more Doritos-flavored foods on the way?
- Astrodome to be considered historic landmark
- Woman jailed over nasty note in lipstick
37 min ago