Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
7 Blocks: Pelham Bay
BRONX (WABC) -- There is the largest park in all of New York City, a movie landmark and restaurants with old-neighborhood charm.
It's all within walking distance of a subway stop in the Bronx.
It is the northern terminal of the Pelham line located at the corner of Bruckner blvd and Westchester Ave.
The station opened in 1920 and although it is an elevated station, the line it serves was New York's first subway company. From a pop culture point of interest, the fictional train that gets hijacked in the novel and movies entitled The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 leaves the station at 1:23.
But it's not the fictional stories surrounding the station, but its usefulness that residents like most.
The crown jewel of Pelham Bay is Pelham Bay Park, located just about 3 blocks from the station is NYC's largest city park. By some estimates three times the size of Central Park, inside it includes Orchard Beach once referred to as the "Riviera" of NYC.
And close by is the historic Partow-Pell Mansion. The landmark and museum is on an estate that dates back to 1654. In 1936, Mayor La Guardia used the mansion as his summer home. Surrounded by acres of natural forest, the park is a point of pride with many who live in the neighborhood.
But if Pelham Bay Park is the jewel of the neighborhood, then some would argue that Sophie's is its heart. The old style diner is complete with a juke box and is located one block from the station and has been a staple in the community for 80 years.
Warm and friendly people, historic landmarks, and movie lore can all be found within 7 blocks of Pelham Bay.
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos