Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
7 Blocks: Pelham Bay
BRONX (WABC) -- There is the largest park in all of New York City, a movie landmark and restaurants with old-neighborhood charm.
It's all within walking distance of a subway stop in the Bronx.
It is the northern terminal of the Pelham line located at the corner of Bruckner blvd and Westchester Ave.
The station opened in 1920 and although it is an elevated station, the line it serves was New York's first subway company. From a pop culture point of interest, the fictional train that gets hijacked in the novel and movies entitled The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 leaves the station at 1:23.
But it's not the fictional stories surrounding the station, but its usefulness that residents like most.
The crown jewel of Pelham Bay is Pelham Bay Park, located just about 3 blocks from the station is NYC's largest city park. By some estimates three times the size of Central Park, inside it includes Orchard Beach once referred to as the "Riviera" of NYC.
And close by is the historic Partow-Pell Mansion. The landmark and museum is on an estate that dates back to 1654. In 1936, Mayor La Guardia used the mansion as his summer home. Surrounded by acres of natural forest, the park is a point of pride with many who live in the neighborhood.
But if Pelham Bay Park is the jewel of the neighborhood, then some would argue that Sophie's is its heart. The old style diner is complete with a juke box and is located one block from the station and has been a staple in the community for 80 years.
Warm and friendly people, historic landmarks, and movie lore can all be found within 7 blocks of Pelham Bay.
- Worker trapped in waist-deep mud in Queens trench 12 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 37 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb 7 min ago
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush 35 min ago
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault 12 min ago
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
37 min ago
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
35 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos